Monday, December 5, 2011

Chainsaw Carving - Oak Log Bench Woodworking Project


My next woodworking, or rather 'Chainsaw Carving' project: Making a log bench was next on my 'to-do' list. I had reserved two Oak logs for this project. Since I rarely get my hands on large logs I was forced to make the bench in pieces, bolting them together with stainless steel rods. An advantage is that the bench can be fully dismantled if you want to relocate it. The bad side is that you have A lot of individual pieces that you need to precise fit onto each other. The wood was still fairy green, so you had to take warping and shrinking into account as well. That took huge amounts of time (and frustration). Despite the troubles I am happy with the result. The color the Tung oil gives the wood is incredible and that moment made up for most of the frustrations. And to be fair, I again learned a lot of new techniques like burning lines with the angle grinder and steel cutting disks. Let me know what you think of it. This bench was made in Hortus Haren, Netherlands. Useful websites: www.saburr-tooth.com EU, UK, NL website for ordering Saburr-Tooth equipment: www.chainsawcarvingtools.eu Main Dutch Chainsaw Carving forum: www.carvingtoolshop.eu WoodCarving Illustrated message board: www.woodcarvingillustrated.com My WCI Gallery: tinyurl.com

T Outliner Clippers Best




No comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Facebook Flickr RSS



Fran�ais Deutsch Italiano Portugu�s
Espa�ol ??? ??? ?????







Sponsor Links